In an increasingly fragmented mobile ecosystem, achieving app growth to increase user LTV, revenue, and ROAS can seem like a daunting task. However, there are key growth marketing strategies out there that will help crush your app growth KPIs.
Let’s start with defining what growth marketing is and what it means for your app install campaigns:
What is growth marketing for apps?
Growth marketing can be defined as growing your user base throughout all stages of the funnel, while relying on accurate data and analytics to refine and optimize your strategy.
Growth marketing is a broad, all-encompassing strategy that covers every stage of the customer lifecycle, from acquisition to engagement and retention, and that relies on analytical expertise, including sophisticated data mining, to guide product and marketing strategies and initiatives.
Growth marketing for mobile apps:
Growth marketing should be part of an overall marketing strategy, which also includes brand advertising. You must take a full funnel approach, meaning that you are looking at your mobile growth marketing activities not only on the user acquisition side, but also at how you retain and monetize your high LTV-users mobile users.
An effective growth marketing strategy requires a deep knowledge of both your marketing funnel and user journey in-app. By marketing funnel we are referring to your app’s acquisition, activation, retention, purchases and referrals. The typical user journey, on the other hand, speaks to installs, registration and purchases.
Growth marketing strategies to grow your app
- Promotions/Coupons: Giving your customers a concrete incentive, like a coupon or particular promotions is a popular growth marketing strategy. Customizing the incentives to your app, like using a points or level-up rewards system, unique merchandise, or a discount, is a strong growth marketing strategy. This will ensure to turn new users into high LTV users and allow them to develop a stronger and longer relationship with your app.
- Referral Programs: Referral programs are an effective part of the Lean Marketing Framework where engaging the user and prompting him to share, leads to the benefit of the user, and the referral. This helps continue the momentum of the app and makes it easy to promote, even if app store fees are high.
- Paid User Acquisition: The process of gaining new users for your app through these types of app install campaigns is known as paid user acquisition. For the best results with this method, you must establish app install campaigns and gradually modify your ad spending. Knowing the people you want to draw, aka high LTV users and the in-app tasks you want them to perform is crucial.
For this, you will need to keep an eye on data and recognize patterns in client behavior while evaluating the effectiveness of your app install campaigns and modifying your spending for better outcomes in the future. Your attribution provider will assist you in measuring these outcomes by keeping track of the number of users who carried out each action.
Programmatic and affiliate marketing are two types of paid user acquisition channels:
- Affiliate marketing is an advertising activity aimed at the acquisition of traffic or users for companies’ products or services. In the context of app install campaigns, it refers to the acquisition of mobile users for a company’s app and it is one of the main channels in every paid user acquisition strategy.
- Programmatic on the other hand, is the automated process of buying advertising placements on websites and apps, operated by software and operating systems such as Demand Side Platforms (DSPs). Programmatic leverages data insights and machine learning algorithms in order to allow advertisers and publishers to optimize their app install campaigns.
- App store optimisation : ASO is essential for the growth of your app. 70% of apps are found through the app store, and 65% of all downloads come from search. Good optimization increases your conversion rate and increases your app's visibility in the app store. You can draw in your target market and avoid getting random downloads from those who haven't seen your advertisement.
You could be tempted to employ paid advertisements to increase downloads because you want to see an increase in downloads right away. But keep in mind that you are playing the long game and don't want customers leaving your funnel lower down.
Keyword research is just as crucial for ASO as it is for SEO. You should use keywords that are not super competitive but are still highly relevant to your business. If you use relevant keywords in your app description, it should help fuel your app’s organic ranking.
- Influencer Marketing: By promoting your brand to a larger audience on your behalf, influencers can help you increase recognition, engagement, product sales, app installs, or another measure crucial to your team. For this type of growth marketing, consider the following when choosing to go the route of influencer growth marketing strategy:
- Engagement level
- Relevancy and trust
These growth marketing suggestions will boost your app's high LTV user base and improve user retention along the mobile growth funnel. As you continue your growth marketing strategy, keep in mind that growth should be considered an integral part of every product and marketing endeavour rather than a distinct funnel stage.